Sunday 3 May 2009

Sun Sea and Swimsuits

I am not sure what happened and why the plan of blogging every day went to no blogs for weeks.

I am sure anyone who reads my blog has had enough apologising and wants to get down to some actual fashion blurbs!

So, new dilemma: I am going to Florence in a couple of weeks for a few nights and the hotel we are staying in has a pool (yay). I haven't been on holiday out of Britain in over a year which is a depressing thought and one thing which will begin to be remedied starting with this forthcoming Italy trip! I also have not bought a new swimsuit and used it abroad in even longer so a new one is definitely on my list.

Although I do wear bikinis they are really for sunbathing purposes as opposed to swimming. But, I tend to dislike swimsuits as they are often very unflattering for the flatter chested girl. At least, the ones I seem to find are. What I have had in my swimsuit dreams for a while now is a 50s inspired retro swimsuit. Flattering and currently quite trendy. Finding one though so far is a challenge.

Everything online has been so lovely and very tempting, but all incredibly expensive!! Here is a few that caught my eye.

From Retro Vixens a cute nautical 'Sailor Betty' one piece by Steady Clothing, costing £33.97.
This is my favourite style as I love the back detailing, and it is actually the cheapest one I found. The only problem is that it the sizes are general. "small" is between 8 and 10 and I am concerned that it could be on the baggy side and that I won't be able to get a refund if it is too big. I have emailed the website for further sizing details so we shall see what comes of that.

A friend recommended the website DollyDagger as one to try. Although it has a few gorgeous suits they are all bikinis, no one pieces, and is on the more expensive scale of things.
This 'Cupcake Bikini' by Skinny Dip Swimwear is the cheapest at £33 with their other bikinis going up to £45. And it is not very far off something I could get on the high street at a high street price. On the plus side this website stocks cute sun suits such as this on by Tara Starlet. Just a shame it costs £54!

Next on my list is Pin up couture a well known label for the 'alternative' retro girl.

This is one of my favourites; the 'Bettie Halter' in cherry print. On Pin Up Girl Clothing website it sells for $68 which is slightly cheaper than on the Retro Vixens website on which it costs £43. However, I could not seem to figure out shipping costs without actually buying it so the difference might be made up on that.

I also LOVED their three piece bikinis such as this one in a white cherry print costing $80. Expensive stuff but absolutely gorgeous!!!

Last on my website alone list is ModCloth for their sexy vintage inspired bikinis. Again, expensive. This bikini which also comes in a polka dot print is $89.99.

But, what I absolutely love is this nautical one piece below.
Just a shame it costs $124.99!!

So how about on the high street then? Any cheap alternatives? Topshop sadly seems to have very little indeed. In fact, I think the best shop is probably New Look with its Kelly Brook range. Sold as seperates instead of sets you can mix and match and with prices ranging from £5 to £15 they are not quite as authentically reproduced (i.e. low cut leg instead of more modern high cut) as some expensive swimsuits previously listed but they are incomparable in price! And when a girl is on a budget then a girl cannot complain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment